Frequently Asked Questions


Program, Students & Faculty Information
Facilities, Campus Life & Meals




What is the Symphonic Band and Chamber Music Camp?
This camp is a one-week long summer intensive focusing on symphonic band performance and chamber music. Students participate in private and small group instruction, survey classes and large ensemble rehearsals.  Guest artists and Mason Gross faculty provide state-of-the-art instruction in all areas.

During camp, students:

  • Rehearse and perform under the baton of renowned conductors.
  • Participate in daily large-ensemble and chamber ensembles (woodwind, flute, saxophone, brass, percussion and world drumming).
  • Hone skills in small group lessons, clinics, master classes, and broad-ranging survey courses.
  • Enjoy evening faculty recitals and recreational/social activities.
  • Perform in end-of-session Student Gala Concerts held on campus.
  • Collegiate life – catch a preview of living on the campus of a major state university.
  • Reside in university housing or commute to campus.

What is the age range of camp participants?
Students ages 11-18 (students entering grade 6–rising seniors) who play an instrument used in Symphonic Band are welcome to attend.

The average age of camp participants varies from year-to-year.  Generally, age distribution is even across the range, not overemphasizing participation of older or of younger students.

Middle school students may only participate as commuters.

How many students typically participate in this camp?
80 to 100+ students, depending upon the year.

Where do most students attending the camp come from?
Most students come from the Greater New York-New Jersey area.

How many students commute? How many reside on campus?
Approximately 1/3 of students commuted to campus.  Approximately 2/3 of students were residents on campus.

What is the performance level of camp participants?
We have been fortunate to attract many very high-level student performers to the Symphonic Band & Chamber Music Camp. The most advanced of these students are participants in top-level pre-college programs in NYC, and here at the Extension Division.  Many are regular participants in competitions, and the highest level student orchestras.

The camp also attracts students new to summer music camps, who desire a fun, productive learning environment. We are an excellent “first experience” for these students in that we are able to place students in large ensembles and/or chamber ensembles with students of similar age & ability level.  For this same reason, we are able to accommodate students with greater experience and more advanced performance levels along with students whose performance level is less developed.

We work to create an environment in which students are supportive of one another’s efforts and in which one can be successful at any level of advancement.

Is a list of faculty available?
Past faculty members are currently listed on our website.  Updates will be made as new faculty are engaged.

Who conducts the Symphonic Band?
Prof. Darryl Bott conducts the Rutgers Summer Symphonic Winds and the Honors Ensemble. Prof. Bott is the Associate Director of the Music Department and Associate Director of the Wind Studies Program at the Mason Gross School of the Arts. Mr. Todd Nichols also conducts bands.

What events are open to parent observation?
The end-of-session small and large ensemble concerts on Friday afternoon and evening in the Nicholas Music Center are open to friends, family, and the general public free of charge.

Can parents/family observe instruction during the camp session?
Non-camp participants are not allowed to be present during instructional or other non-public events.  Safety considerations mandate that the Extension Division keep strict boundaries between the public and campus events involving the instruction of minors, even if the adult attending is a parent of a student.

May parents attend the opening orientation for camp students?
No, this orientation is for the students alone and begins a process of building community within the camp focusing on matters of student, faculty, and staff interaction.




Where are camp activities held?
All camp activities are held on the Douglass Campus of Rutgers University.  The Nicholas Music Center and Marryott Music Building are where a majority of camp activities are held.

Will my child be safe on campus?
Yes.  We take great care to supervise, buildings, surrounding areas, and all activities utilizing Extension Division staff and counselors.

Are college classes in session during the camp session?
Yes.  Camp participants and collegiate students may pass by one another occasionally.  However, our camp events are distinct from all collegiate activity. The interaction between Rutgers student population and our camp guests is extremely minimal.

Are dormitories near the instructional facilities?
Dormitories are a 10-minute walk from the Nicholas Music Center, where most CMI activities are held.  The Neilson Dining Hall is midway along the walking path between dormitories and the Nicholas Music Center.  Residential students need only walk to/from the dormitories once daily (morning and evening) as lunch is catered onsite at the Nicholas Music Center.

What meals are served to camp participants?
All students (residents and commuting students), faculty, and staff eat lunch together onsite at the Nicholas Music Center.  Lunches are catered by University Dining Services.

Residential students eat breakfast and dinner at the Nielson Dining Hall, nearby (a short walk) the dormitories and the Nicholas Music Center.

Are meals included in tuition?
The commuting student tuition includes lunch only. Residential student tuition includes all meals.

Can you accommodate special dietary needs?
Meeting the needs of the Rutgers University community year-round, University Dining Services is able to accommodate most, if not all, special dietary needs. Students with special dietary needs may contact University Dining Services in advance of the CMI.

How do I Contact University Dining Services?
If you need to contact someone at University Dining Services, please contact Peggy Policastro at

Are directions or campus maps available?
You may view building location of the Nicholas Music Center and find directions here.
The Mason Gross Performing Arts Campus is located at:

85 George Street
New Brunswick, NJ 08901

Are dormitories air conditioned?

Are window A/C units permitted?
No. Rutgers does not allow window units to be installed for personal use.



Students of Extension Division Summer Camps will reside in Perry Residence Hall or Voorhees Residence Hall located on the Cook/Douglass Campus, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ. Hall assignments are typically made in March.  Both are traditional residence halls. Map & directions can be found here: Perry Hall | Voorhees Hall.

All residents are bound to follow Rutgers University’s Student Policies for Dormitory Life, which can be found here.

What amenities are included at Perry and Voorhees Residence Hall?
Please find details of Perry Hall amenities here. Please find Voorhees Hall amenities here.

Both halls are located near the Cook Campus Center, the Cook/Douglass Recreation Center, and are a five-minute walk from Neilson Dining Hall.

Where is the best place to park?
Please park in lot 99A for move-in and check-in.

Who will be looking after my child?
Six adult counselors will reside in the dormitories with students to ensure supervision of evening activities and social time and to keep students on schedule–morning, noon, and night! Counselors also provide supervision during non-class/rehearsal periods during the daytime.

Can my child have guests in their room?
Residents are not permitted to have guests in their rooms or in the dormitories. Please note: parents are not allowed inside the dormitories except at the time of move-in.

Can my child bring a cell phone?
Students are encouraged to have cell phones. Student cell phone numbers will be requested in attached forms. Cell phones should be on vibrate or silenced altogether during rehearsal periods.

Who can I contact if I have any more questions?
If you have any more questions regarding residence life or the Rutgers campus, please call (848) 932-9363 or e-mail If you have any questions regarding security or public safety, please find that contact information here.



Is a schedule of activities available?
Yes, our schedule will be posted soon.

How are instructors selected?
Faculty are selected based on their outstanding accomplishment as educators and/or performers, and their demonstrated ability to work effectively with pre-college students.  We do favor Mason Gross faculty, as well as teaching artists who have a strong connection to Mason Gross School of the Arts (i.e. alumni).

How are students assessed to provide for proper ensemble placement in ensembles/classes?
All students are accepted to the camp based upon the quality of their audition, past acceptance, and/or All-State Ensemble membership. Additionally, students are auditioned in-person by ensemble directors on the first day of camp (Sunday) from 4-5:30 p.m. for ensemble placement and seating within large ensembles.  Adjustments to ensemble membership may be made during the camp session if required.

Please note that all students wishing to participate in the Honors ensemble must provide an audition video, regardless of past participation or All-State/Region membership.

What are survey classes?
Survey classes allow students to spend time with professional teaching artists learning about specific musical subjects that engage their personal interests and passion. Survey classes change year-to-year; sample classes include world drumming, Alexander Technique, music theory, composition seminar, conducting seminar, etc.

Is private instruction available?
Small group and, in some cases, private lessons are provided to all camp participants.

How do you motivate my child?
Motivation comes from students who are excited to attend camp inspiring one another; faculty who are well prepared and fully engaged in their work; repertoire that inspires developing artists; and a learning environment that is conducive to student achievement.

How can Mason Gross summer camps help in college preparation?
Students learning from collegiate faculty and outstanding professionals engaged in successful musical careers come into contact with standards of excellence found at a premiere arts conservatory – the Mason Gross School of the Arts.  Additionally, Mason Gross Admissions Director, Kara Golden, will present a workshop on college admissions that will help students in their preparation for college as music students.

Will students have free time for activities?
Honestly, more than last year, but not very much!  Our intention is to build an exciting, intense week of orchestral training that will inspire students for the year to come.  We do plan fun social events, but our focus in on providing excellent musical experiences for our students.



Do I register or audition for the Symphonic Band and Chamber Music Camp?
That will depend upon a couple of factors.  All students must demonstrate a certain performance standard to attend this camp.  New students must audition via YouTube (or other video host) link before registering.  Past participants, current or recent members of All-State or Region ensembles DO NOT need to audition.  These students may simply register.

Who must audition for the Summer Band and Chamber Music Camp?
New students who are not current or recent All-State Ensemble members must audition via YouTube (or other video host) video.  Also, all students wishing to be considered for the Honors ensemble.

Who DOES NOT have to audition for the Summer Band and Orchestra Camp?

  • Past participants in the Summer Band & Orchestra Camp.
  • Current or recent All-State Ensemble members.
  • Region Orchestra members.
  • Students who have performed for current or past camp faculty in-person.

The faculty member who heard the audition must email his/her recommendation for acceptance to Christopher Kenniff, the director of the Extension Division.

Describe the audition process.
The registration procedure can be found here.

Submitting your audition video

First, you will create your own YouTube channel, upload your audition video and then share the video’s URL where prompted in the application. Instructions on creating a YouTube channel can be found here. You will be contacted once your video has been evaluated.

Accepted students should return to the registration site account and complete payment for the camp. Non-accepted students simply discontinue the registration process.

Video not ready at the time you are completing your audition?  No problem! You can upload your video at a later time here.

When does registration begin?
December 15, 2017

How do I register?
All registration is online. Please visit here and fill out the Participant Questionnaire.

Can I register over the phone? 
No. We only accept registrations online.

How do I pay for camp?
Payment is made online via our secure registration system.

  • You will set up a username and password to access your registration account.
  • Please complete online forms as prompted.
  • Pay a portion of your balance due, or pay for the entire camp at once.  Payment plans are available and may be set up at the time of registration.
  • Please note:  Auto billing is required of all camp participants utilizing payment plans.
  • Billing questions? Please contact the Mason Gross Extension Division office at or 848-932-8618.

How can I pay my balance due?
You can either return to your online registration account and complete payment via credit card, in person via check or cash, or by mail via check.

Please make all checks payable to “Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey”

Please be certain to identify your child’s name and the camp/institute your child will attend. A $25 fee will be assessed for any returned check. Our mailing address is:

Mason Gross Extension Division
Rutgers Symphonic Wind Band & Chamber Music CAmp
Rehearsal Hall, room 101
85 George Street
New Brunswick, NJ 08901

Are payment plans available?
For information regarding payment procedures and payment plans for summer programs, please visit the “Payment Procedures” section of our summer program policies page, which can be found here.

Is financial aid available?
No.  However, The Rutgers Federal Credit Union has financing options available for continuing education and summer programs! If financing or cost is an issue, we urge you to fill out the Rutgers Federal Credit Union Continuing Education Loan application.

Are there any discounts for Rutgers faculty or staff?
Yes, Rutgers Faculty & Staff are eligible for a 10% discount.  This discount may not be combined with other offers.

What is the application deadline?
June 5, 2017. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, as space is available after June 5, 2017.



Are airfare and other travel costs included in the tuition?
No, participants are responsible for their own transport costs.

Are recommendations for transport from area airports to campus available?
Yes.  Please click here for a listing of available area transportation.

Can you recommend area housing options?            
There is  the Rutgers University Inn and Conference Center (walking distance to campus; free bus service to downtown New Brunswick), as well as the East Brunswick Hilton (requires transportation to campus).


What time is drop off for commuters on the first day of camp (Sunday)?
3:00 p.m. at Bettenbender Plaza, Nicholas Music Center

What time is pick up for commuters on the first day of camp?
6–6:30 p.m. at Bettenbender Plaza, Nicholas Music Center

What time and where is drop off Monday – Friday during camp?
8:00 a.m. at Bettenbender Plaza, Nicholas Music Center

What time and where is pick up Monday – Friday during camp?
From Monday – Thursday: 5:00 p.m. at Bettenbender Plaza, Nicholas Music Center.

On Friday: 4:00 p.m. at Bettenbender Plaza, Nicholas Music Center. Commuters should return to campus for a 6:45 p.m. concert call at the Nicholas Music Center.

My child wishes to drive to campus.  Is this allowed?

Is parking available?
Yes, a parking pass is available for $15 that allows for parking access during the week in lots 74 and 79.


What are your policies regarding social media?
Students may use social media during recreational times only. Faculty and staff are prohibited from interacting with students using social media during camp. If social media is used to bully or denigrate other participants, the student will be dealt with under our bullying policy.

What are your policies regarding cell phone use?
Students may use cell phones in-between instructional sessions and during instructional sessions in the event of emergency only. Cell phones must be silenced during instructional sessions.

Student Behavior
The Extension Division reserves the right to dismiss any student for inappropriate behavior. Students are provided with clear guidelines for behavior during an orientation session at the start of each camp session. Refunds will not be provided to any students dismissed from camp for inappropriate behavior. Examples of inappropriate behavior that may result in dismissal:

  • Bullying
  • Smoking
  • Drinking alcohol or being in possession of alcohol
  • Use of illegal drugs, possession of illegal drugs or unapproved use of prescribed medication
  • Failure to obey Extension Division policies and procedures
  • Abusive behavior towards camp faculty and staff
  • Theft
  • Vandalism of university facilities or property

In most cases, students are informed of behavioral issues detected by camp faculty and/or staff and given the opportunity to modify their behavior while continuing in the camp. The Extension reserves the right to dismiss students without warning in cases of egregious breach of policies and/or procedures, or in cases where the safety/well-being of other campers is threatened. Parents of minors will be informed of any pending disciplinary action.

Participant waiver & photo release form
A participant waiver that includes a photo release form and a waiver of liability is included in the registration process.

Will my child be able to bring a laptop or other electronic device to camp?
Personal computers may be used during free time. Students will be supplied with a password to connect to RU Wireless.

Is it possible for my child to leave campus during the week?
Yes, but only by special arrangement with the Extension Division Director, Christopher Kenniff. Student’s whose parent(s) have not formally notified Christopher Kenniff of need to dismiss will not be permitted to leave the building early.



I have specific questions not addressed in this FAQ document.  Can I speak with someone?
Yes! Please e-mail us your name, phone number, the best time to reach you, and your question(s). In the subject line of your email, please indicate the following your name, the name of the camp, and your question.

We will contact you with the answer to your question at the next available opportunity.

Call us at 848-932-8618.  Please note that the best way for us to put you in touch with someone who can answer your question is to email us first and let us then contact you via phone.